Happy Feature Friday!
Christmas is a week away and to give you some last minute baking inspiration is Marcella Dilonardo, creator of the blog Modest Marce. She’s provided us with her Eggnog Cake recipe which is sure to please all your holiday guests! It’s definitely a unique take on a classic holiday drink and as Marcella states in her blog, the eggnog flavor is there but isn’t overpowering. If your household is anything like ours, you have some super fans of eggnog and some who won’t go near it. This eggnog cake would be the perfect way to get your family to enjoy eggnog in a different way. It’s also a great way to use any leftover eggnog after the holidays. Along with the recipe, Marcella took the time to answer a few questions about how she started baking and shared tips for holiday entertaining! Happy Baking!
for the cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum or rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup eggnog
for the frosting
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum or rum extract
- pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy. add eggs one a time, followed by vanilla & rum.
- in a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt & nutmeg. add the dry ingredients to the the wet ingredients, alternating with the eggnog.
- grease & flour two 8-inch round cake pans. evenly distribute the batter.
- bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes bounce back to touch.
- while the cakes are in the oven, begin to make the cooked frosting. in a frying pan over medium heat add flour, salt & eggnog. stir until the mixture is clump free. cook (constantly stirring) until the mixture has thickened. remove from heat & let cool completely.
- once the eggnog flour mixture has cooled beat butter, sugar, vanilla & rum extract until light and fluffy. add the eggnog flour mixture.
- frost cakes as desired. i decorated with pine needles, cinnamon sticks & cranberries!